Sacred Space

I've been reading a ton about creating a personal altar. I think that this is particularly great idea at this point in my life, because it gives me the opportunity to create a sacred space for meditation, reflection, or just a sense of calmness among some of the general chaos that arises when you're an adult living with your parents, two cats and six chickens (just saying).

Last night I set to work and started collecting items. I had some things that I wanted from the old apartment, some things that I'd collected since my transition to my parent's house and some things that seemed to have always been with me no matter where I've gone. I moved my record player and created a space that hopefully will be accessible to be me daily for a brief pause to reflect on the day ahead or the day that has just passed. I also took the plunge and ordered a smudging kit to go with the sage that I'd purchased last weekend and the Palo Santo I ordered this week. Needless to say, we're going to be cleansing everything in sight! I also ordered a small Gaia statue from a really sweet etsy seller that includes a crystal with your purchase. For some reason, I was incredibly stoked about the idea that she would select a stone that she felt resonated with the purchase and send it along. Talk about energy! I have some Amethyst and Tiger's Eye that were given as a gift from the women's retreat, a Saint Dymphna plaque that I've always really felt connected to, as I've always felt really connected to Saint Dymphna. I also have a Ganesha statue that I've had for probably almost ten years, my Gram's glasses and vase that she really liked. I hope to collect more things as time goes on, but I feel like I have a good start of things that mean something to me and help me connect with my spiritual self.

One thing that I really loved whenever I was reading so much about creating an altar, was the ability to create altars out of so many different things and have them in so many different places. I saw so many portable altars that people used when they were on vacation or away from home that fit into a Altoids container! I loved the tiny effigies that carry as much meaning as any larger-than-life statue or reliquary. I also had a realization...I had created an altar at work and didn't even realize it.

People are always putting pictures in their cubicles or whatever, but I didn't realize that when I put together the pictures that I had, crystals that I love, and my bracelet with my Gram's ashes, that what I was doing was really creating a sacred space in a place where I spend a large amount of time. I also have a pretend lavender plant (no plants allowed at work), that helps me remember to stay calm, and a picture that says, "Happiness dwells in the soul," to help me remember that I'm the person that makes the decision to make each day good or bad. Whenever I look there, I feel like I'm not always in my stuffy cubicle among a thousand people that I don't know, but rather in a place where I can connect with my spiritual self, even if it is on a much smaller scale. Although I won't be meditating in my cube any time soon, I can close my eyes for brief moments here and there, and center myself, collect my negative energy and transform it into something positive and meaningful.

For me, every place can be sacred if you look at it with the right eye.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Triggering Consent and Convention

Laboring Day

I've Been Weigh Down